If you see poaching activity, you can now report the details through an online system called Operation Game Thief. The program will collect important information and send it to the appropriate region office. Upon dispatcher review, the report will be forwarded to an officer to investigate. This efficient system is used by many states and provinces to help stop wildlife crimes.
Be a Conservation Hero! Poachers are Thieves… help us catch them.
Have you witnessed a wildlife crime against big game (deer, turkey, bear and elk) or a species that is protected, endangered or threatened? Call Operation Game Thief’s toll-free hotline, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year to report wildlife violations: 1-888-PGC-8001or fill out an Operation Game Thief Reporting Form online.
Calls to the Operation Game Thief telephone number are always answered by a secure recording device. Although it is beneficial to provide your contact information in case officers have follow-up questions, callers may remain confidential, however, those who wish to claim any monetary reward, must provide contact information.
What crimes should you report?
Wildlife crimes affect us all, whether we are hunters, trappers, bird watchers or others who enjoy walking in the woods. The illegal shooting or taking of big game or protected, endangered or threatened species, or any crime against those species should be reported through Operation Game Thief. Other violations should be reported to the region office serving the county in which the violation is taking place as quickly as possible.
What information should you provide?
Please provide as many details as possible:
- Description of WHAT YOU SAW and the SPECIES involved
- DATE and TIME of occurrence
- Location: COUNTY, TOWNSHIP, ADDRESS
- Description of PERSON(S): height, weight, hair color, eye color, approximate age, tattoo or other distinguishing feature, clothing, sporting arm
- VEHICLE Description: color, make, model, dents, decals, bumper stickers; license number and state; road/route; direction of travel
- Your name and phone number (require to claim any monetary reward) and whether or not you choose to remain confidential